Thursday, April 18, 2013

A song once in a while


Inspired by a conversation with Veena, I thought I could start a song of the day list!

9/30/2013 -
Song: Hey you
        by Pink Floyd
Favourite lines:
          Open your heart I'm coming home.. and the guitar solo following that. 
All you need in life is some Floyd.

9/29/2013 -
Song: Autumn leaves
        covered by Eric Clapton
Favourite lines:
           But I miss you most of all, my darling
             When autumn leaves start to fall..
Clapton's voice is perfect for the song. The perfect song for the day as I sit by my window watching the falling autumn leaves.

9/5/2013 -
Song: The Unforgiven III
        by Metallica
Favourite lines:
            How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go
            And how can I blame you when it's me I can't forgive
A huge fan of Metallica's ballads. It's the screaming that I can't stand :)

8/22/2013 -
Song: Stay or Leave
        by Dave Mathews
Favourite lines:
           In the river, swims at midnight
           shiver cold
           touch the bottom
           you and I, with muddy toes.
Today's loop. Liking the vivid pictures the song creates.

8/19/2013 -
Song: Black
        by Pearl Jam
Favourite lines:
          Oh my bitter hands cradle broken glass of what was everything
Best song ever. Okay one of them. The image that flashes in front of my eyes thinking of bitter hands cradling broken glass. A profound sadness. Broken glass. Half formed sentences. You can only feel it.

Ok, where did Carnival of rust go :O

7/19/2013 -
Song: காதலின் தீபம் ஒன்று (Kathalin Deepam Ondru)
Favourite lines:
         நேற்று போல் இன்று இல்லை 
         இன்று போல் நாளை இல்லை
A weird connection took me to this song today. The board that I am working on has a BAT file named deepl1* and I was reminded of this song. Brought memories of 11th and 12th std, Veena, TB and my mom (cos she likes it too).

7/18/2013 -
Song: Creep
        by Radiohead
Favourite lines:
          I wish I was special
          You are so fucking special
Spent a whole day trying to fix drivers that don't work for no reason and chips that go off display for no apparent reason. Listening to 'What the hell am I doing here, I don't belong here' seems so fitting, though totally out of context. Radiohead is my latest favourite band by the way.

7/17/2013 -
Song: Alive
          by Pearl Jam
Favourite lines:
          Oh, and do I deserve to be?
          Is that the question? And if so, who answers, who answers
Reading about the death of Kurt Cobain and reminded of a contrasting scream of 'I'm still alive'.

It is time I changed the title.
7/16/2013 -
Song: Pennyroyal Tea
         by Nirvana
Favourite part:
         Where Kurt's voice breaks and he comes back with such emotion in the MTV Unplugged version
I don't think I can describe in short why I added the song here today. Let me write another post.

Well, the one song everyday is clearly not working :O
5/10/2013 -
Song: Layla
         by Eric Clapton
What better a song to come back with than Layla! You got me on my knees :)

5/1/2013 -
Song: Rise
          by Hans Zimmer from the soundtrack of The Dark Knight Rises
Today seems to be Batman day.

4/30/2013 -
Song: Comfortably Numb
           by Pink Floyd
Favourite part:
          The last guitar solo
The first Floyd song I heard, have loved it since then.

Felt like adding this right now :)
Song: The man who sold the world
          covered by Nirvana
Favourite lines:
          I gazed a gazeless stare
          We walked a million years
          I must have died alone 
          A long, long time ago
       
Feeling a little guilty that I like Kurt Cobain's version of the song better than David Bowie's original. Cobain's voice makes all the difference to me. I was reading Pandora's description of him relentlessly pushing his favorite bands as if his favorite records were more important than his own music and this song came up in my mind immediately.

4/29/2013 -
Song: Lithium
          by Nirvana
Favourite lines:
          I'm so ugly
          That's ok cos so are you.
Why add it today? Well, I had to mention Kurt Cobain before long. Love you Kurt!

4/28/2013 -
Song: Nothing Else Matters
          by Metallica
Favourite lines:
          Trust I seek
          And I find in you
My favourite Metallica song, no particular reason to add it today.

4/27/2013 -
Track: The Riders of Rohan
           from the soundtrack of LoTR - The Two Towers
Favourite part:
           When the violin begins around 3min
For most part of the previous semester the LoTR soundtrack has been my coding music. Getting back to it now for my last project in grad school.

4/26/2013 -
And I am already bored by this list. :-|

Songs: The Happiest Days of our Lives followed by Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)
            Pink Floyd in The Wall
Favourite lines:
          If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding! 
          How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!
I don't usually like to hear them separately as I love the transition between the two. The songs reek of rebellion; I have more a soft spot for rebellion now than usual. 

4/22/2013 -

Song: In the End
          by Linkin Park from Hybrid Theory
Favourite lines:
          I tried so hard and got so far
          But in the end, it doesn't even matter
Extremely bored with reading about Totally Self-checking Checkers and separable Orthogonal Latin Square codes, I am all set to sleep off in the middle of the exam. But hey, in the end it doesn't even matter!

4/21/2013 -

Song: Keys to Imagination
          by Yanni
The first time I heard the song was at an 'Evening with Yanni'. It was truly the most vibrant and positive music I have listened to. My spirits soar high amongst unreachable clouds when I listen to this song.


4/20/2013 -

Song:  ராஜ ராஜ சோழன் நான் (Raja Raja Chozhan naan)
          from the movie Rettai Vaal Kuruvi composed by Ilayaraja and sung by K.J.Yesudas.
For historic albeit misguided reasons, this has been a song very close to my heart. Yesudas' heartfelt rendition puts me in a tranquil mood whenever I listen to it. 

4/19/2013 -

Song: While my Guitar Gently Weeps 
          by the Beatles 
Favourite lines:
          I look at you all
          While my guitar gently weeps 
One of the best songs I have heard, with dear Clapton on lead guitar. My inspiration to add it here today - Yesterday's DSP presentation in which we used the song for a demo and Deepti's lovely playlist of over 300 covers of the song that I often listen to. Edit: ahem ahem, when was the last time you listened to them?

4/18/2013 -

Song: Long Nights 
          by Eddie Vedder from the soundtrack of the movie Into the Wild.
Favourite lines:
          The lights go out
          Let me feel
          I'm falling
          I am falling safely to the ground


I just watched this movie a couple of days ago and already the impact is profound. The song beautifully captures the feelings of Chris when he looks back after running away, being fed up by all the superficial ways of living spent 'chasing a career'. Eddie's baritone at his primal best! 


2 comments: