Sunday, August 25, 2013

Echoes fade and memories die

I caught up with a good friend of mine after a long time today. Recounting all stories from the past two months in a very typical fashion of mine that includes all gory details and digresses in all possible angles, made me suddenly nostalgic. 

Life fucking moves on. Small things that gave me great pleasure are now distant memories. Roaming around SF in the middle of the night, swearing at meteors, getting lost in philosophical thoughts and (comically) falling in pits on beaches, professing love for a Shakespearean actor(and oh, every guitarist we see), driving back from Berkeley have all become things of the past. Just like discovering the Steeping Room, walking to Amy's ice cream in the middle of the night, driving on MoPac for the first time, celebrating with wine and cake and LoTR, Dunkin donuts on a rainy Atlanta morning and making Rava pakoda on another rainy evening had all long become things of the past.

Being around new people bring out different parts of me, parts that I didn't know existed before. I am as glad to have discovered the adventurous me as I was when I first encountered the geek in me. The adventurous me dodges wild thorns crossing the final frontier in the shape of a wooden fence to the edge of a cliff(drama is my middle name). The stupid girl also drives to mountain tops and finds the gas tank empty, breaks her abstinence with one whiff of a spirit called Bombay.   

The geeky me ambitiously planned to learn the basics of CUDA in a weekend, read Lord of the Rings twice in 3 weeks, fell in love with the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, fervently debated abortion and evolution(was shocked to find that a topic of debate in the first place), did a batman marathon and claimed November Rain was the best song ever and in the process found a beautiful friend who made great tea, became a part Longhorn and bought her apple pie when she was in the worst low. 

As all these images go through my mind I sigh. I am reminded of Lewis Carroll. 'Echoes fade and memories die'. I desperately hope that not all of them die. I wish I could take with me what is elemental in all these memories. To enjoy small things in life and keep pushing myself to my limits. 




Because happiness is not good enough for me. I demand euphoria. No, I am not going to the Shoreline Lake. I need to drive on the Bay Bridge. 

Now Playing: Wish you were here When in doubt, seek Floyd.



4 comments: