Monday, November 19, 2012

Life happened!



I once had a classmate with whom I used to do assignments. He was an incredibly pessimistic person who, apparently, didn't let himself find happiness in the world because it was in his knowledge and the world's capacity for it to be a far better place than it is, and the ignorance of the mass, or rather their choice to feint ignorance, is what is stopping it from happening. Most of our mutual friends thought he was just being stupid himself, but I think I understand his desperate anger. Leaving his view of the world aside, for that is not what I intend to write about and in my typical fashion I digressed before I even began writing, he once walked towards me and my friend slowly with his head drooping on his right shoulder. It was near the end of the semester and he looked like college had taken everything out of his being and my friend asked him what had happened. He replied, "Life happened". This was one of those abstract things that could come back at some later point and set my mind thinking vaguely about anything and everything. Needless to say, it did.



At the first look it says nothing. Well, life happens. But then when I think about it closely, these two words hide layers of pseudo philosophical musings that I decide not to explore. I instead start to ponder upon some of the significant things that happened in my past few years and how life intervened and steered them off-course many a time; certain seemingly good things that turned out to be disasters, certain unexpected things that brought joy with them and a tear when they ceased and a small class of certain other things which happened exactly like they should have.


I could say a lot of random things about life. I wish I could take a leaf out of Jeevitha's book and say "Life is about finding small pleasures in whatever I have". But that is not how I really feel. Good things come by unexpectedly, and then fade away. And then life goes on. I don't like the fading away part. Johanna doesn't, either. With what, hopefully, is not a misdirected extrapolation I think it is the same for most people. We don't like accepting the possibility of things being too good to last. We try to fight it, some of us fight longer than others, and at times we fight with all that we have. That is when "Life happens" and renders the fight hopeless. Worthless? Perhaps not. But in the end does it even matter? I wonder ... What I really think is best summed up by these lines, and this I shall call my motto for yet another short phase of life, the foolishness of which I shall look back and laugh at someday. 


In the meantime, I am glad for the latest good things in the life. Here is to Mayura, for bringing out all the Geek in me. I shall think of you whenever I think of the Fellowship or Hogwarts or 42 or the Caped_Crusader or listen to Keys to imagination or design a clock divide by 3 circuit or eat an apple pie and I hope that the list grows! Oh wait; I almost forgot evolution and Mitt Romney. To Anoushaka and to all the ‘somethings’ we did at all ‘somewheres’ at all ‘sometimes’. I count on you and the others that follow here to be around a little longer for me to have to think of ‘somethings’ to reminisce. To Bhava, 'all' your career fair advice and all my stories that, hopefully, entertained you. To Jeevitha, the endless lift-me-up conversations about life, to all the things we have in common, and to Alfredo Penne with peas and beans! To Johanna and your growing up, finally, for I still maintain that it was partly by my inspiration and this in turn inspires me. Grow up more and fast!


10 comments:

  1. "I don't like the fading away part. Johanna doesn't, either." - Johanna doesn't like anything other than "Happily ever after". Don't degrade yourself by comparing with her.

    Jo, no offense da my gold :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing old is inevitable.. Growing up is optional :D Jo, give me a hi5 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO!! Jo is growing up and she is liking it :P

      Delete
    2. Haha hi5 jeevs! :D I've become more like the Ostrich Abby so don't think that counts as growing up :P

      Delete
    3. No Jo deny all u want :P but i know the truth :P

      Delete
  3. Growing up never means leaving the child in us behind..
    I think it is learning to accept life as it is, to mold it as we want or make us become as it gets :)
    Nice rambling...!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well, to mold it as we want and accept it as it is are mostly the opposite of each other ;)

      Delete
  4. Interesting blog :) i got reminded of our Z'tejas conversation reading it

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nishant. yeah that was an interesting convo as well! along the same lines with more pessimism :P

    ReplyDelete