Friday, February 1, 2013

A Flight to Remember


Enroute to Folsom, CA, cruising at 35000 feet in a Boeing MD80 (I somehow always hated the CRJ 700 in comparison) over the vast expanses of numerous mountains in Arizona (unless I am terribly mistaken), boulevard of broken dreams blaring in my ears, a shot of espresso fighting a tired mind to understand the tidings of a certain Tomasulo and out of order execution, I watch the sunset outside my window. Alas, I have no camera good enough to capture the beauty. Even if I had owned the best camera on earth I doubt if it could capture this magnificence. With that said, this is the most feeblest attempt to describe the moment..

A pale blue sky on the top, patches of darker blue a layer below.. the most beautiful pink beneath those varying shades of blue, the only pink I ever loved, filling the vast horizon. And the mountains below it all. A river winding through.. Crisscross patterns originating from somewhere far to my right.. strange shapes and projections gleaming golden in the last rays of the sun..

I close my eyes for a moment trying to etch the view I beheld in my memory forever. When I open my eyes I find that the view is rapidly becoming hazy from the wisps of cloud which have now come between me and the beauty. There is no more trace of pink or pale blue. It is all dark outside and the clouds get thicker. There is more turbulence and I lose sight of the ground once and for all..

How I wish I were a painter or a poet or a writer.. I am reminded of Wordsworth's solitary reaper and a story of a trip to the land of snow. Those were the first writings that made a deep impression on me about a far off beautiful land. Once again I am pondering how I perceive a unexplained melanchony in the beauty, Green Day not helping things at all!

Then I realize it doesn't matter that I am not one of those people who can describe this wonder to the world through words or paintings or photographs. I am here now witnessing this and have the ability to appreciate that I am. And that's all that matters :)

Walking this lonely road when the city sleeps doesn't matter anymore as long as the road is as glorious as this and as long as I am able to appreciate it!!

2 comments: