Tuesday, March 19, 2013

When I discovered my dance..

Everybody has their one dance! One dance that makes them forget everything and lose themselves in the sheer glory of the moment. I have had my fair share of head nods and feet taps, but never a dance.

Reading always gave me such pleasure. There are few things that come close to escaping into sophisticated fictional(wait, what fictional?) worlds that the likes of Tolkien had constructed, the flawless reasoning of the mastermind Holmes, a heart-wrenching story of two miserable Afghan women or the adorable tales of one playful physicist.

After a long scenic drive along the Pacific Ocean, I thanked the beauty that is all around me. Walking on new lands, even the most mundane things magnified themselves to deliberate processions of delight.

A Sachin century. That look on Dravid's face even after hours of batting.   Memories of Ganguly celebrating chasing an epic 326. I extolled them all, always failing short of a dance though.

I found my one dance in music. The guitar. Dancing around chanting We Don't Need No Education, I felt profound emotions that I cannot fully describe. To think I was actually dancing around in my room, woah, that was a first. I am not the dancing type. I am far, far away from the dancing around in joy type. This atypical Pink Floyd song did that to me. In Floyd I found a psychotic rebellion. Pain in Nirvana, pain from the reflection of yet another life lost to drugs and the insane media pressure. The generation's spokesman! Fuck. Guttural power in Eddie Vedder. Like he  dares you cannot just sing black and not feel it. Led zep. Kashmir. a restless anxiety. Grief after Tears in heaven. Yanni gave me hope. Ilayaraja and SPB showed me love. AR Rahman gave me my childhood. Oh where will I be if not for them and a dozen other musicians I don't seem to recall now. Music talks to each person differently. For me, it is the love of my life. This is my dance, one that carries me through all the crests and troughs of life.

P.S. Sorry about the really incoherent ramble.



No comments:

Post a Comment