Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The view from another side

"Hear the sound of their laughter ringing in the air, aren't they a merry party today? Let's walk with them for a while", I suggest. "Why, you ask? No reason, my dear! We don't have anything better to do for a few hours, do we? Come on now, we will have no trouble catching up with their slow pace."

We follow them at a distance as they cross a bridge. You say suddenly, "Look at the full moon shining ever so brightly! How beautiful its reflection is in the lake! If I stand close to the rails, I can even feel the breeze on my face." In your excitement, you stumble and knock off a bicycle that falls down clanging loudly. "Don't worry, the girls are unaware of our presence. They will not turn around", I reply to your relief. You are young, after all. In our world you haven't even come of age.

It is surreal, the girl with a ponytail exclaims. The red-haired girl runs up to her and clings to her arm. 

One girl drinks something that she finds quite delectable. "It has chocolate and coffee and vodka! Beat that!" The girl on her right is unconvinced, she wouldn't touch the drink. You wonder aloud, "Are they playing some game? I don't understand. They seem to be happy one minute, and hate each other the next". "Ah! These humans are a very insecure race", I reply with wisdom.

They take in familiar sights, and trod on well worn out paths. They recount old stories to gales of laughter. The girl in the green dress realizes with a pang that she has to leave soon. She scribbles a hurried note, jabbering of memories to cherish. She wishes that their last hug will last a tiny moment longer. She gently pries her fingers away from her friend's hand whispering that there is never enough time.

I see kindness in your eyes when you say, "Aren't the young ones lucky to have each other?" I laugh heartily. "Hold my staff, child. We have another place to visit before the day breaks. A postman near Belgrade is out of means to send his daughter to school."

Now losing my mind to Radiohead. Breathe, keep breathing..



No comments:

Post a Comment